National Security Fund
Social Security was initiated in Cambodia since 1955 based on the Royal Decree No. 55 and 306. Regrettably, during the genocide rule (1975-1979), it was demolished. From 1979 to 1993, people had access to health care services for free. After the national election in 1993, the Department of Social Security was established. The department was responsible for the preparation of all of the PRAKAS for the implementation of social security protection for all people working in private sector. As a result of amending the Labour Law of 1992, the current Labour Law of Cambodia was passed in 1997, implemented by the Labour Department (currently becomes General Department of Labour). Afterward, the first Social Security Law, currently known as the Law on Social Security Schemes for Persons Defined by the Provisions of the Labour Law, was passed by the Parliament in September 2002. The sub-degree concerning the establishment of the National Social Security Fund (NSSF) was adopted in 2007, which replaced the Social Security Department in the process. NSSF was established in order to administers the schemes of Social Security protection in accordance with the National Social Security Law and the provisions of the Social Security related Sub-Decrees. After extensive preparation, was fully functional at end of 2008.
Employment Injury Insurance
Employment Injury Insurance is a compulsory social insurance covering all employees as defined by the Labour Law. The employment injury insurance scheme in Cambodia is being implemented in Phnom Penh, Kandal and Kampong Speu during the development phase and will be steadily expanded to other provinces and smaller enterprises. On the other hand, NSSF cannot cover the small enterprises, having less than 8 employees, which are not viable to fulfill the minimum requirements yet. The employment injury scheme covers the contingencies of accidents at work, occupational diseases, and commuting accident.
- Accident at Work
According to the Sub-Decree concerning the establishment of NSSF, accident at work refers to the accident inflicted on the body of the employee during working hours, regardless of the cause and employee’s fault.
- Commuting Accident
Accident occurs along the direct route between the employee’s residence and workplace is considered as commuting accident.
- Occupational Disease
Occupational disease arises out of the exposure to the harmful substances or hazardous condition in the processes. The employment Injury Scheme covers an extensive list of occupational diseases, which is expanded with the discovery of new diseases.
The National Social Security Fund offers basic social security to all workers in private sector. We register members, receive their contributions, manage funds of the scheme, process and pay out benefits to qualified members or dependants.
What is Social Insurance?
- Compulsory by legislation
- Comprehensive protection
- Offers long term security to employees and their dependants
To become the leading center of social security services provision.
To present distinctive services to all members in the course of timely registration in order to to help to relieve social burden and promote social stability
- To manage and administer the social security schemes according to the provisions of the law concerning social security schemes for persons defined by the provisions of the Labor Law.
- To ensure the provision of all benefits for the member of NSSF (insured person) for the purpose of providing income security in case of any contingencies such as old age, invalidity, death, occupational risks, and others.
- To collect contributions from the respective members and employers.
- To facilitate and organize the provision of health and social services for the members.
- To cooperate with the respective organizations involved in the:
- Educate and promote strategies for occupational risk prevention; and
- Promote measures on health and safety at the work place.
- To cooperate with relevant organizations to study and investigate occupational diseases.To manage the investment of social security funds.
- Provision of Basic social Security to entire working population in Cambodia
- Mobilization of domestic savings for national development
- Raise public awareness of the importance of social security
- Promote a collective responsibility
- Efficiency and effectiveness
For further reading, please visit NSSF website.